Monday, October 11, 2010

The Libertarian Ethic

If I could change the world, I don’t think I would. Because one change wouldn’t really make a difference. Because change in the world is rarely ever permanent. Because there is intrinsic value in the way we live now.
Once change takes hold, consequences always happen. Without proof by which to know that change, any change, would be truly positive, despite the optimism of the goal itself, there is no reason to assume that the change would actually, well, change anything. It is just as valid to assume that change might even make the state of the world worse.
Although this may seem pessimistic, to not want anything to be different, I’m really advocating a libertarian approach to life. If I don’t mess with you, then you shouldn’t mess with me. Perhaps the change in the world we should be aiming for is less people trying to make changes. Then maybe the world could find the equilibrium by which to change itself, without our interference.

No comments: