Sunday, November 11, 2012

Rumor Has It You Ain't Got Her Love Anymore

I am sitting in the teacher’s room after school. A few students absently clean the area around me, occasionally exchanging solemn whispers. Everything is peaceful. Then, one of my favorite ninenseis boys comes bounding in and plops violently in the chair next me.


“Jeshii,” he says, “My girlfriend…Divorce!”

Divorce?

Through a series of questions, I learn that although he and his girlfriend had not broken up yet, there was a rumor going around school which he had heard from a few other people that his girlfriend intended to break up with him.

Do you want to break up?, I ask.

Well, I love her, buuuutttt....maybe she does not love me, he says.

Have you talked to her?

No.

Are you going to talk to her?

No, no, no…, and he looks at me like this is a ridiculous suggestion.

I laugh. So you are just going to wait and see?

Yes!

He then bounds out of the teacher’s room in the same manner in which he had entered, the sole purpose of his visit being to tell me about his love life, and I realize…that I am in the know, in the school gossip circle! They now tell me things, rumors, about their lives!

I also realize how much high school really is the same everywhere.



Author’s note: A few weeks later it was reported to me that they had in fact not broken up, and as far as I know, are still together. I asked him if he thought it was "rabu rabu" forever. He thinks maybe not. Ah well.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog