Monday, June 11, 2012

Youth is Like Diamonds in the Sun, and Diamonds are Forever

Most of the time my job is really fun. I get to interact with great teachers who are very kind to me, and my students make everyday new and exciting. As if this needed any more proving (although I feel like the rest of this blog does a pretty good job of covering the fact that my students are awesome), this morning when I walked into class with my ninenseis, one of my favorite rugby boys let out a loud, Oww, OWWWWW, as soon as I walked in, and then spent part of class trying to decide if the Tanaka family lived in the house or on the house.

However, despite all the constant awesome, the fact remains that I:

Spend everyday in high school.

I am surrounded by kids who are trying to figure out where they want to go to college, what they want to do, how their families will feel about everything, while also facing an incredible pressure to study and perform well on tests that is, frankly, unknown in a vast majority of American high schools. And some colleges. And then I think about when I was seventeen, really only about five years ago, and how at that time I really didn't have a clue that I would be living and working in Japan and, generally, have a pretty epic life that is about as close to what I would have wanted as...what I could have wanted.

So, in the spirit of irrepressible youth, I give you this song.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. It makes me excited to teach overseas! This song makes me think of Napoleon Dynamite, but maybe that's okay.