Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dangerously Educated

"It must be allowed that learning does take away something, as the file takes something from rough metal, the whetstone from blunt instruments, and age from wine; but it takes away what is faulty; and that which learning has polished is less only because it is better" - Quintilian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We talked in class briefly the other day about the dangerous elements of education, especially in regards to theology. That, somehow, becoming educated is a greater evil than maintaining ignorance, because education, the university setting, exposes students to bad theology, bad philosophy, bad ideas. Some pastors even pride themselves on their lack of education. But I wonder why this is, that if one can get an education, why one wouldn't. Is there something better about not being exposed to things and ideas? Yes, learning can be dangerous, but so is crossing the street, and that doesn't stop me. In fact, I think I prefer my education (and my street-crossing) dangerous, because I'm not sure I would truly be being educated (or truly be getting to the other side) if it wasn't.

No comments: