Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Joy in the Form of Mocha...and All the Other Things...

Today was a beautiful day. It was the first time in a long time that the sun was actually visible and not accompanied by freezing temperatures, and everyone seemed to realize that they either got their fill of vitamin D today, or they would have to wait for who knows how long. I also felt better today after a weekend of doing basically nothing but sleeping (intermissioned with a two-movie excursion into The Matrix), and then sleeping some more.
Liz and I walked into downtown Kirkland today to drop off some checks (hey, I like vitamin D too...even though Michelle is convinced I am a vampire), and decided to hit up the Starbucks in Parkplace, because, not only was it the closest to our local, but it definitely has the best coffee of all the Starbucks' in the area. Another friend of mine was working, and he kindly and surreptitiously gave us the coffee for free. Oh the love of iced triple white chocolate mochas (it was sunny, after all, and warranted the first iced coffee of the new year). It was a beverage of dreams, and made me instantly and exponentially happy, in part counteracting the sadness I received from the temporary closing of the library (a great travesty to an English major).
As I sipped my drink of happiness, I was thinking about the little things that happen everyday that make me happy. Someone says they like my outfit, I spend time with the girls on my floor, I get an excellent coffee, sleeping in, no homework, I discover there is still ice cream in my fridge, I find $5 in my pocket, I have mail, dinner is actually good, my favorite pen is in my bag. And then I realized how each of this things has an antithesis that makes me equally unhappy. I don't like to categorize myself as superficial, but it really is the little things that happen all day that build up into that day, at its close, being labeled as either 'good' or 'bad,' and I tried to determine how much of that is fate, and how much is a choice. Obviously, not everything is supposed to make me happy all time (I would probably be a little concerned about my own mental state if they did), but overall I think I can decide whether or not today is a good day, despite the circumstances that try and dictate to me what I should pick. I was never one for being told what to believe, much less by a set of inanimate circumstances. I have more gumption than that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you- that's right, we decide to make it a good or bad day. :)